Sunday, April 23, 2006

The World Lost A Great Man Today

My Grandpa Rogelio



December 1958 (3 years before my mom was born)
1937-2007
March 26th, 1937 to April 23rd, 2006


I awoke to a phone call this morning. It was my mom. Being a Sunday, and Robert's 21st birthday, I thought she was calling to remind me to wish him a happy birthday. I was wrong.

"Blake, my dad just died."

That's all it took. I jumped out of bed, called in to work telling them I would be out for the next couple of days, and I was off. Topher came down with me which helped me because I knew I would not be alone.

Four years ago, when he was healthy as a horse, he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's Disease. In four short years that disease robbed him of his body and mind, but not his soul.

The one thing I will always remember about my grandpa is how he was my interpreter growing up. We would go up to Weed and visit for weeks at a time. He was the only one outside of my mom and aunts that could speak english. At the time my grandma did not know any english, and Nora being young was always away at her friends houses. He loved history, geography, and always had a good joke and an amazing story about his life growing up.

I love you grandpa, I hope you know that.

No comments: