Tuesday, August 01, 2006

The Final Hawaiian Frontier: Moloka'i Recap

Last Tuesday I got the chance to reach my personal final Hawaiian frontier; I set foot on the island of Moloka'i.

(By the way, that's Maui in the foreground)

After $170 and a hour and a half ferry ride we arrived on the island. We were met with our tour guide "Van" who, in all fairness, was as large as the van he was driving. (We later found out he was recovering from anorexia, well that's what he told us :P ) Our first stop on our guided tour of the island: the Kalaupapa overlook and the sacred phallic rock. Now, instead of boring you with pictures of the lepor colony where a strict quarantine was enforced till 1969, I'm going to show you a picture that I could not resist taking.

Yep, that's my dad, on top of a giant penis. The legend is if you touch the rock you will become pregnant and give birth to a son. I hope for my dads sake that the legend does not come true.

In a nutshell the island was different than the rest. As with all islands, there is a movement associated with them. Oahu is fast paced and bright, the Big island is vast and always renewing, Kaua'i is lush and inviting, Maui is rural and slow, Lana'i is exclusive and warm, and Moloka'i is friendly and leisurely.

We toured the entire island, from one end to the other. We ate a wonderful catered lunch, toured a coffee plantation and a macadamia nut farm. We spent the entire day going from one end of the island to the other, and hopefully next year we will be able to spend a night there. It took me 13 years to reach all the major Hawaiian islands. I wonder what is next?

No comments: